“If there were no process of aging, if time and its passing were not built into the very code of life, reproduction would be unnecessary and sexuality would not exist. That sexuality is a species leap over death has always been clear; it is one of the truths which precede philosophy.” (40-41)
“The scale of that span over millennia, and the distance covered by that temporal short circuit which is fertilization, are such that sexuality – even for women and men – is impersonal. … The impersonal force of sexuality opposes the impersonal passing of time and is antithetical to it.” (41)
"What I did not know when I was very young was that nothing can take the past away: the past grows gradually around one, like a placenta for dying." (78)
“If there were no process of aging, if time and its passing were not built into the very code of life, reproduction would be unnecessary and sexuality would not exist. That sexuality is a species leap over death has always been clear; it is one of the truths which precede philosophy.” (40-41)
ReplyDelete“The scale of that span over millennia, and the distance covered by that temporal short circuit which is fertilization, are such that sexuality – even for women and men – is impersonal. … The impersonal force of sexuality opposes the impersonal passing of time and is antithetical to it.” (41)
ReplyDelete"What I did not know when I was very young was that nothing can take the past away: the past grows gradually around one, like a placenta for dying." (78)
ReplyDelete